Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Week 1

Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!! When I first arrived I was sad, but as soon as I took about 20 steps I was so happy!!! I am constantly surrounded by peers who share the same desire to spread the gospel and are trying to better themselves each and everyday so we can influence the lives of others through the gospel!! To describe being a missionary would be like describing salt... There is nothing like it! We wake up at 6:30, personal prayer, get ready, personal study in classroom from 7-8, breakfast at 8, gym, class for hours, lunch, extra study time, then more class, then we have dinner, personal study, companion study, and language study, bedtime. Then we wake up the next day and hit repeat! 

MTC companion
Sister Tingey
My collega! Her name is Sorella Tingey! She was born in Utah, but moved to Germany because her dad is a teacher on a military base! She then came back to BYU for two years. She is super quiet, which is a little hard, but as I've prayed for patience and to see her as Christ does, I LOVE HER! She contributes so much to lessons and tries to be very obedient. Something that I love doing with her is sand volleyball with the Anziani against the Germans and after meals when we have a little time we go find a piano and she and I harmonize to hymns as I play the piano. It feels so good to just sing and play! I was called as the music coordinator for our branch so I am in charge of music for Sunday and special musicals number every week! SO much fun! 

Our branch (zone) consists of 20 Anziani and 4 Sorelle. I adore every single one of the Anziani e Sorelle! So many different personalities coming together in our zone just makes it complete felicita' (happiness)! We have an Anziano that was converted a year ago, some who's families have fallen away, lots went to college before the mish and it's a huge variety all over! Basically we are all best friends and it's going to be sad when the Roma and Milano missionaries are separated.

My very first class... in ITALIANO! Every class begins with a hymn in Italiano, a prayer, in Italiano, repeating the missionary purpose statement, in Italiano, and then class begins. My teachers here are Sorella Anstead and Sorella Russell. They are literally so wonderful except they don't say one English word the entire class time! I have gotten to the point where I understand what they are saying but still can't quite form the words to answer. The first day we were asked to memorize the missionary purpose statement in Italiano by that Saturday, and I am proud to say that I have it memorized flawlessly! We were then taught how to pray in Italiano, This is one of my favorite things about the language. Calling our Heavenly Father, Padre Celeste and knowing that He understands what I am saying is probably one of the best feelings ever! 

On Friday we had our first lesson with our investigator and we have had three more since. Her name is Michela and she only speaks Italiano! Our first two lessons were super duper rough because of the language barrier, so I suggested that we pray right before we knock on her door. We also start and end the lessons with preghera and I can tell it helps soooo much! Because the Spirito Santo is present I'm able to form sentences and say the prayers in Italiano! When Sorella Tingey and I bear our testimonies in Italiano that is my favorite part of the lessons! Even though Michela probably isn't a real investigator I can tell she is feeling the wonderful Spirito as we bear our testimonies in Italiano and it's coming from our hearts.

For language study when the teachers are gone, we have a learning program called T.A.L.L. we share the computer lab with the Germans who are on our same floor so it's always a race to see if the Italiani or Germans get there first. Basically we put on headphones and there is a mic that we speak into. This program lets us select terms for different lessons that we will teach. It quizzes us on the words and our pronunciation. It helps a ton with pronunciation. I say the words over and over until I feel like I've got it down. 

The devotionals here are great. This Tuesday we had a retired member of the Seventy come speak. He reminded us that we are not perfect and always in need of the Savior. One thing I loved from his talk was when he said that during our missions we will realize that the Savior is our best friend for now and eternity. I am starting to feel that friendship with the Savior as I try to be a better missionary everyday. Mediante l'espiazione di Cristo noi possiamo essere purificati dal peccato e possiamo ritornare a vivere alla presenza di Dio! Without Christ there is no possible way that we could return to our Padre Celeste!

Today we get to go to the temple and I am so pumped!!! I got to see Sister (Harper) Forsgren, Sister (Sadie) Hughes, Sister (Abby) Freeman, Elder (Ian) Clark, Sister (Alyssa) Carey, Sister (Kati) Singer this past week which has been lots of fun!

Love you all so so so much!!! Sorella Nelson